Case Study

Wimborne cyclist killed in Southampton flyover collision

Incident date: 
Mon, 17 Dec 2012

The 48-year-old Dorset cyclist died in a collision involving a number of vehicles in Southampton.

The man from Wimborne was riding along the Mountbatten Way flyover when the collision took place around 08:45 GMT. He died at the scene.

Two Hampshire men were arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

The 37-year-old from West End and 56-year-old from Fordingbridge remain in police custody.

The men were driving a Ford Transit minibus and a Mercedes coupe respectively.

Officers are appealing for witnesses to contact them.

A post-mortem examination is due to be held on Thursday.

  • UPDATE 20/12/12

Both drivers have been bailed until March 19th 2013.

  • UPDATE 02/01/13

The cyclist has been named as David Timothy Irving.

A Hampshire Police spokesman confirmed: “David has been described as kind, thoughtful and devoted to his long term partner and two beautiful daughters. He had a great sense of humour and love of cycling, skiing and kayaking.

  • UPDATE 26/03/13

The 38-year-old from Southampton who was driving a white Ford Transit minibus arrested for causing the death by careless driving of David Timothy Irving was initially bailed until March 15, but a spokesperson from Hampshire Police said he has now been re-bailed until April 29.

A 56-year-old from Fordingbridge who was driving a silver Mercedes coupe has been released without charge.

  • UPDATE 29/04/13

Steven Petterson, 38, of Waterhouse Lane, Southampton, who has been charged with causing death by careless driving, is due to appear before magistrates in Southampton on 7th June.

  • UPDATE (01/07/13)

A further hearing will be held on September 3rd 2013 at Southampton Crown Court.

  • UPDATE (03/09/13)

Petterson filed a plea of not guilty to the charge of David Irving’s death by careless driving at Southampton Crown Court.

The case was adjourned for trial until 20th January 2014. Petterson’s unconditional bail was extended until then.

  • UPDATE (21/01/14)

Rufus Taylor, prosecuting, said Mr Irving, an IT consultant, was wearing an orange high-visibility jacket, an anklet with LED lights and lights on his bicycle at the time of the crash.

It was as Mr Irving was cycling along the three-lane Mountbatten Way that he was knocked from his bike causing him extensive injuries.

His cycle helmet was “smashed to bits”, the prosecutor added.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Irving suffered a head injury which was consistent with being hit by a wing mirror, Mr Taylor said.

Mr Taylor explained Mr Petterson stopped the Ford Transit minibus after he heard a bang, but believed he had hit a bus signpost.

Steven Petterson told police he was “driving slowly” along Mountbatten Way in Southampton
It was only when he found out that there had been a serious accident he called the police and told them he believed he might have been involved, he added.

At the time of his arrest, Mr Petterson told police he was “driving slowly” because there was a lot of traffic.

“There was a bang and my wing mirror slammed against the van. I didn’t see what caused the impact,” he told the court.

“I checked the remaining mirror and couldn’t see anything in the carriageway behind me.”

He added visibility was reduced that morning by the low sun but he believed he was “driving carefully”.

Sgt Rob Heard told jurors visibility was very good, he said conditions were ‘clear, sun out with a little bit of cloud’.

The trial continues.

  • UPDATE (24/01/14)

On the fifth day of the trial the court heard from Collision Investigator PC Ed Wilson that Petterson should have spotted the cyclist despite the bright sunlight. He said the driver would have had at least 17 seconds from joining the road from Waterhouse Lane to the crash site and should have spotted other vehicles.

However, after the court heard that CCTV images from earlier in the route showed that Mr Irving’s rucksack and the way he was leaning forward obscured a large part of his orange luminous biking jacket, PC Wilson, under cross-examination. said that Mr Irving would have been ‘virtually impossible’ to see and may have ‘blended into the background’.

The trial continues.

  • UPDATE (28/01/14)

On the 6th day of the trial the court heard from a witness that he had been blinded by the sun whilst travelling on the road seconds before the crash happened.

The scooter rider, Clive Jones, told the court: “I was doing about 40mph, no more than 45mph.

“It was blinding. My first reaction, if I couldn’t see, was to take my hand off the throttle. I was concerned about traffic going into the back of me.

“It all happened in such a quick time. It was just a whiteout.

“I couldn’t really see anything at that point. Even with my sun visor pulled down. It was the glare that just hit me.”

  • UPDATE (30/1/14)

The driver has been acquitted of causing death by careless driving.

  • UPDATE (23/05/14)

The inquest into David Irving’s death has opened at Southampton Coroners Court.

CTC's view: 

CTC is deeply disappointed that the jury has not convicted in this case. The excuse of glare should not be an excuse – a careful and comptetent driver should drive to the conditions, slowing down and taking extra care if conditions are sunny.

Article tags

In collaboration with
  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no: 25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales charity no: 1147607 and in Scotland charity no: sco42541. Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 9JX.