Should I report my incident to the police?

The driver of a motor vehicle must give their name, address and insurance details to any interested parties in a crash involving injury or property damage. If the driver does not do not do this, they must report the crash to the police. However, anyone involved in a crash can report it to the police.

The police should complete a STATS 19 form that gathers information about the crash. STATS 19 data is intended to help the police better understand what causes crashes, and collecting it does not indicate the beginning of police investigation. To learn more about what to do after a road traffic incident and how to work with the police, please read our briefing ‘What to do if you’re involved in a road traffic crash’.

You may report an incident that does not cause injury or damage. There seems to be a great deal of inconsistency in how seriously police forces take these incidents. However, it is worth reporting one if you feel that the driving involved qualified as dangerous or careless driving. You can learn more about minor incidents in our briefing ‘What to do if you’re involved in a road traffic crash’.

Article tags

In collaboration with
  • Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
  • President: Jon Snow
  • Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
  • Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no: 25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales charity no: 1147607 and in Scotland charity no: sco42541. Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 9JX.